drallapaul

drallapaul

Not brilliant fantasy novel

Darkwater: Epic Sword and Sorcery Action Adventure (Xenkur Chronicles Book 1) - DW Johnson

This fantasy novel is partly narrated by our heroine, Lacey Darkwater, a young mage, who encounters helpful fellow travellers on her journey. Meanwhile plans are afoot to bring magical power to a variety of interested and greedy characters. This is the first part of a trilogy (or something longer) and finishes with the subject matter up in the air for the next in the series.

I had a problem with the writing style as it jumped frequently from present tense to past tense in the first person narration. Also the author labours various points unnecessarily, treating the reader as a simpleton. Another gripe is the author’s inclusion (like far too many fantasy novels these days) of the wandering-through-caverns section: since Tolkien and fantasy role-play games, every budding author seems to include one. Reasonably interesting but not original enough for me. I’ll pass on the next volume.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and received it from the BookLikes Giveaway contest.